Self-Employed Helpline

0843 178 4180 

If you currently work for yourself or you have decided to take that career path, you may need to speak to someone at HMRC who can guide you through the process. To get advice, call 0843 178 4180

Self Employed Helpline Telephone Numbers

Department Contact Number Opening Times
Self Employment Head Office  

0843 178 4180


8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm, Saturday
Self Employment Helpline 0843 178 4181 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm, Saturday
Tax & NI 0843 178 4182 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm, Saturday
Changes of Circumstances 0843 178 4183 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm, Saturday
Construction Industry Scheme 0843 178 4184 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm, Saturday
Self Employed Benefits 0843 178 4185 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm, Saturday
Registering 0843 178 4182 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm, Saturday

Self Employment Head Office – 0843 178 4180

You can contact the Self Employment Head Office on 0843 178 4180 about a number of things including registering a new business for tax and NI, reporting the closure or sale of a business, stopping your self-employment status, getting your UTR, completing a tax return, authorising an accountant to act on your behalf, claiming an NI refund, help starting a business, VAT and the construction industry scheme. You can also find the numbers to some of these specific departments and helplines below or in the table above.

Self Employment  Helpline – 0843 178 4181

self employed helpline

The self-employment helpline will be able to help you with a number of things, including any problems you’re having or help to understand what self-employment means for you, your tax and your income. The HMRC can also support you whilst you write up a business plan as well as guiding you through the process of registration, finding finance and choosing a legal structure. To access this help please call 0843 178 4181 to speak to a member of the self-employment helpline team.

Tax & NI – 0843 178 4182

If you’re self-employed and you need some help regarding tax and NI you can call  to speak to someone who will be able to offer you some advice and guidance. If you’re newly self-employed or you have just started a business you will need a UTR number, your UTR number is 10 digits long and is unique to you or your business. You will receive your UTR when you initially register for self-employment. You will need to use your UTR when you are submitting your tax returns and if you have an accountant they will definitely need it. If you have lost or did not receive your UTR please call to speak to a member of the tax team who will be able to retrieve your UTR for you. If you are self-employed, you must complete a Self Assessment tax return for any tax year during which you were self-employed. If you have some questions about your Self Assessment tax return or you need help completing it call If you’re interested in hiring an accountant to manage your tax and income you need to inform the HMRC about this as the HMRC is strict on confidentiality, which means that they need your permission before they can liaise with an accountant on your behalf. This permission must be written using form 64-8. To request this form to be delivered to you or if you need help completing the form please call 0843 178 4182. Whether you are self-employed or employed, there is a limit to how much National Insurance contributions you need to pay. You can claim the money back if you wrongly pay. To claim this money back call 0843 178 4182 to discuss your NI payments and to find out if you have overpaid your NI, if you have they will walk you through the process of claiming it back.

Changes of Circumstances – 0843 178 4183

It is important to let HMRC know as soon as possible that you intend to stop trading or close your business, so they can help to get your tax and National Insurance in order. You can do this using an online form or by calling 0843 178 4183 to speak to a member of the HMRC who will be able to fill out this form with you. If you make the decision to become employed after registering as Self-Employed, you must inform HMRC of this change. To do this, you must fill out a Cease Trading Form or call 0843 178 4183. Once this is done, you will be officially unemployed and HMRC will cut your Class 2 National Insurance Contributions. You must also send off your last Self Assessment form to declare your last earnings as a Self Employed agent. You must also cancel any VAT registration that you have made, and cancel your PAYE scheme before informing HMRC that you no longer employ anyone in your business. To find out more about doing this please call 0843 178 4183.

Construction Industry Scheme – 0843 178 4184

The Construction Industry Scheme sets out rules for how payments to subcontractors for construction work must be handled by contractors within the industry. Contractors have to deduct money from subcontractor’s payments to give to HMRC, these deductions are classed as advanced payments for the subcontractor’s tax and NI. If you are a contractor you must register, you don’t have to register if you are a subcontractor but be aware that the deductions are higher if you are not registered, to register call  and a member of the CIS team will help to walk you through the registering process.

Benefits – 0843 178 4185

Anyone who is Self-Employed is entitled to a State Pension, just as any other employed individuals. Class 2 National Insurance Contributions are treated the same as employee contributions. If you apply for a State Pension, you will receive £155.65 a week. To find out more about your pension if you’re unemployed call If you’re Self-Employed you are not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay. However, you can claim Employment and Support Allowance. This benefit helps if you’re ill or disabled and effects your ability to work. You can apply for this benefit if you’re below the State Pension age of 65, not getting SSP or MA, and are not receiving Jobseekers Allowance. With ESA you can receive up to £109.30 a week, depending on how you are processed by HMRC and what bracket you are put into. To find this out and apply for ESA, call 0843 178 4185 for more information. To find out if registering for self-employment effects your current benefits please call 0843 178 4185 to speak to someone about the benefits you receive now.

Registering – 0843 178 4182

You can register a new business online through the HMRC website or by calling 0843 178 4182. This allows you to register for the following taxes: Self Assessment, Corporation Tax, PAYE for employers and VAT. You can also register for Self-Employed if you have had a newborn. The process is no different to those without children. However, if you do have children and are registered as Self-Employed, you may qualify for Maternity Allowance. There are many pros and cons to becoming Self Employed. You can be your own boss, have a claim on your own success and profits, you can claim tax relief on transport throughout the UK, and have the greater freedom of working from home. However, there are also some cons. You have to make your own contributions to your pension fund, you cannot receive Statutory Sick Pay if you are unwell, you won’t be paid if you take a holiday, and you will be responsible for any losses to your company. If you’re considering registering as Self-Employed, call 0843 178 4182 to speak with a qualified advisor about making the decision to become self-employed.

Self-Employed Head Office Address

Department Address
Self-employed HM Revenue & Customs
Self Assessment
United Kingdom