The SA302 Form: What It Is and Why You Need One

If you need a SA302 form, the easiest way to request one, is by calling:

0844 453 0165

Opening Hours
The Self Assessment helpline is available from 8am-6pm Monday- Friday and is closed at the weekend and on bank holidays.

If you’re self-employed or running a business, you’re probably already be familiar with the self assessment 302 form, or SA302.

However, you’ll now need to start preserving these forms if you have plans to apply for a mortgage sometime in the near future. Read on to learn all about the new role of the SA302 form, and how you get

What is an SA302 Form?

An SA302 form is a brief summary of all funds that have been reported to HMRC.

It also acts as a receipt from the HMRC detailing all taxes that have been paid so far, as well as any tax due and any additional penalties and interest.

An SA302 will also include information like:

  • Your personal Tax Reference Number (TRN)
  • Pensions, property and any other extra income
  • A breakdown of the tax due on each of your incomes
  • The total of tax due
  • Any tax credits claimed for the year(s) in question.

An SA302 form is only given to those who complete their tax return before the October 31 deadline, just after the end of the tax year. It will usually be sent to you shortly after your tax return was filed, or after you have made a change or correction to an already-submitted tax return form.

[box]TIP: If you file your tax return online, you will be able to print a copy or several copies of your SA302 for future reference. This is useful for providing proof of income to other bodies such as mortgage lenders.[/box]

Why do I need an SA302?

mortgage-applicationMany lenders, particularly mortgage lenders, are now asking for copies of of SA302 forms to look at the tax an individual has paid over the last 2-3 years. Its an easy way for a lender to ensure that the income declared on your mortgage application is the same as that reported to HMRC. It therefore helps to minimise mortgage fraud.

[box]Before applying for your mortgage, be sure to order a copy of your SA302 from HMRC straight away. This will help to avoid any holdups in the application process.[/box]

As well as minimising mortgage fraud, the SA302 also proves that you have been in work and have been paying taxes, with a reliable income. Your SA302 form will show your salary, along with any other income you may have. If you do not receive a form from HMRC, it is advisable to order one right at the start of your mortgage application, so you always have forms on hand to lenders for any proof that may be needed. If you prefer, HMRC will fax you SA302 form straight on to your mortgage broker

How to get an SA302

If you file your tax returns through your accountant, then he or she will be able to acquire an SA302 for you.

If you file online, you should have been able to print your SA302 yourself. However if you do not have one, you can easily get one by calling HMRC’s self assessment helpline.

When you call, HMRC will ask you to verify your identity, along with a few other pieces of information. They’ll ask you to provide:

  • Your full name
  • Your address
  • Date of birth
  • Your Unique Tax Reference code (UTR). This should be ten digits long
  • Your National Insurance (NI) number.

Your SA302 should be with you in no time; usually between 7 and 10 days.

Additional Tips380_image_money_house

  • Get a SA302 covering tax returns for the last three years, to be prepared.
  • Make sure your tax returns for the years in question have been filed.
  • Make sure HMRC has your up-to-date address so your form doesn’t get sent to the wrong place.
  • You can ask for your SA302 to be faxed to your and/or your mortgage broker, to speed the process along. However if you do this, be sure to get physical copies too.
  • Let HMRC know that the SA302 is for a mortgage application, as this can encourage them to process it more quickly.
  • If your SA302 has not arrived after 2 weeks, try giving them a call to follow up, or ask you accountant to get in touch with them on your behalf. He or she will be able to use HMRC’s dedicated agent helpline, which tends to make things move a bit faster.


How do I get an SA302 form?

If you have completed your tax return by the deadline of October 31st, then you will receive an SA302 form. If you go onto your HMRC online account, there will be available to print a tax year overview and a calculation of tax over the last three years. The forms you print will need to be kept hold of should you want to apply for a mortgage  as they will now want this as proof of your tax payments. This will affect mainly the self-employed but also free-lancers and contractors from limited companies. If you do not wish to do it online, phoning the self-assessment helpline is a useful way of requesting HMRC to send you the relevant forms. If you are requesting forms, they will automatically be posted by HMRC to the address that they have on record for you, so make sure your details are up to date. HMRC will require certain details to send you your requested forms, these details include your National Insurance number, address, D.O.B and Unique Tax reference number. This is a 10-digit long number that you will have been given when you registered for self-employment. Your SA302 form should take around 10 days to come after it was requested.