Online Services Guide

HMRC has a range of online services available which are designed to make tax processes or employee payroll easier for you.

What are HMRC online services?

HMRC Online services allows you to manage processes such as self assessment, corporation tax, VAT and PAYE for employers using the web. To use the services, you will need to register. However, if you already have a Government Gateway account, for example, if you have been seeking work through the Job Centre, you can use this to sign in. You can register as an individual or as an organisation, depending on what you intend to use HMRC online services for. Once you have signed up, you will be given a unique ID which you must make a note of, as it will not be displayed again in future when you use your HMRC log in. Once you have registered and received your ID, you can then go on to register for specific services in line with your personal or business requirements. If you’re having problems logging in and you enter the wrong user ID or password three times or more, your account will be locked and you will not be able to use HMRC online services for two hours. You will also need JavaScript enabled to log in to your online account, if you attempt to log in without it you will receive an error message.

What can I use my HMRC online services account for? self employed

You can use your HMRC online services account to sign in for:

  • Alcohol and Tobacco Warehousing- submitting your declaration forms.
  • Charities Online- To claim tax back on donations.
  • Construction Industry Scheme- Find out what you must do as a contractor.
  • Corporation Tax- Pay your corporation tax online.
  • EC Sales List- Reporting your EU sales.
  • Employment intermediaries- File reports on workers who don’t use PAYE.
  • Excise Movement and Control System- Tracking movement of excise goods under duty.
  • Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)- Reviewing accounts for financial institutions.
  • Gambling Tax Service- Register for gambling tax
  • Import Control System (ICS)- Input import procedures if you are a trader.
  • Machine Games Duty- A tax you need to pay on your machine games if the prize is cash.
  • New Computerised Transit System (NCTS)
  • Notification of Vehicles Online (NOVA)- Notify HMRC if you have brought a vehicle into the UK.
  • PAYE for employers- Access tax codes and information about your employees.
  • Pensions Schemes Online- Manage a registered pension scheme
  • Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme (QROPS)
  • Reverse Charge Sales List-VAT reverse charges on certain goods or services.
  • Self Assessment- Submit your self assessment tax return.
  • Shared Workspace- Helping businesses and tax agents to share sensitive details.
  • Stamp Taxes- File your stamp tax duty return
  • VAT- Submit your VAT return
  • VAT EU Refunds- Refunds for UK businesses buying from the EU. employment-and-support-allowance
  • VAT Mini One Stop Shop (VAT MOSS)- Report VAT due on digital services.

What to do if you have problems signing in

During busy times, such as the self assessment tax return deadline day, HMRC online services may be unavailable or particularly slow. There is a tool on the HMRC website which allows you to see if there is currently any recognised issues.

If you have lost your user ID, you can request for a new one to be sent to you online or via post. If you have lost both your user ID and your password, individuals in self assessment can request new ones (it takes up to 7 days to receive them by post). If your user ID and password are needed for other online services, you must contact HMRC to reset your user ID and password.