How to claim a Tax Refund

How to claim a Tax Refund

How to claim a Tax RefundYou’re eligible for a tax refund if:

  • You have stopped work and have over paid tax in the last tax year
  • You have over paid tax in your pension payments
  • You are employed and have had too much tax taken from your pay
  • You have sent a tax return but circumstances have changed since you sent it/ you entered the wrong information

How to claim for a Tax Refund if you:

Are Employed:

If you’re employed and are taxable, too much tax can mistakenly be taken away from your pay by your employer. You can check yourself if you’ve paid the right amount of tax at the end of the tax year in a few simple ways. You can check your tax code, which is visible on your pay slip. If this number is wrong or doesn’t match your old numbers and letters, you can either fill in a PAYE Coding Notice Query, or call HMRC and ask for advice and information.  For both of these options, you’ll need to have a few things handy: your National Insurance Number, details or your job, and your P45 ( if you have one ). Once HMRC has investigated your claim, you should receive payment into your account or by cheque within 5 weeks. Once this period is over, you can call again to check up on your query.

Have stopped work:

If you have stopped work for any reason, e.g you have been made redundant or left your job, you can send HMRC part 2 and 3 of your P45 and they can start investigating your claim. You should receive payment within 5 weeks of calling them. However, if you’re claiming a benefit, such as carer’s allowance or incapacity benefit, this can delay any payment you’re owed by the HMRC. If you have over paid tax through your redundancy pay, HMRC will refund this before the end of the tax year. If you happen to be out of work for more than 4 weeks, you may receive your refund on your first pay in your new job.

Have made a change to your tax return after already sending it:

You can also claim a tax refund or return if you’ve made a change to your tax return after already sending it , or if you’ve stopped being self-employed and have payments still on your account. Call HMRC with your NI number, job details, and any relevant information handy, and they will offer advice on how to claim a return tax.

Have over-paid tax via Pension Payments:

If this is the case, your pension provider should pay you back automatically on your next payment. If they do not do this, you can contact HMRC, who send you a p800 tax calculation. A p800 is used by HMRC automatically to calculate how much of a tax refund you might need. However, check the form you recieve carefully, as you’ll need to make sure everything on the form is right. Unfortunately, you can’t claim on tax years that occured before April 2007. If you’re retired, and only receive the state pension, you will have to fill out a P50 and send this to the HMRC.

What to do before and after phoning or contacting HMRC

Before you make the decision to contact HMRC regarding tax, make sure you have a lot of information that can help your case. For example you should have to hand your passport, NI number, D.O.B, address, p45 and details about your job, which HMRC may ask for to investigate when looking into your claim. It may also help to have the contact details of your former employer/current employer. During the call, note the advisers name and what you spoke about, so that if you need to call again, you have relevant information at hand, which could speed up the process of calling up again.