How to Claim Car Tax Back

Call the DVLA on 0844 381 0906 to claim road tax refunds on Vehicle Excise Duty.

The contact number for DVLA is available directly from their website at no or lower cost.

Call Connection, Calls cost 7p per minute plus your standard network charge.

Please ensure you have the bill payers permission before calling.

This website provides hard to find phone numbers as a call connection service, and is not associated with the company.

You can get a refund for any full month of tax that you already paid for if you have to cancel the road tax for your vehicle. This could be due to a variety of reasons, but you need to notify the DVLA. They will cancel the vehicle tax automatically if you provide a valid reason for cancellation. Read this guide to find out how to claim car tax back and get the refund.

Claim Car Tax Back After Selling Car

When you sell a vehicle, the tax on it does not transfer as well. The new owner must pay to tax the vehicle, while the seller must notify the DVLA about the change of ownership to get their refund. You won’t be able to cancel the tax without your V5 document. Contact the DVLA and request a replacement logbook for £25 if you have lost it. The registered keeper will need this. You can then cancel your car tax by sending the logbook in the post or notifying the DVLA online. Follow the instructions to tell the DVLA and they will cancel your car tax and calculate your refund.

Claim Car Tax Back for SORN

You may decide to take your car off the road. If you will be keeping it in a driveway or garage and not driving it, then you can register this with the DVLA. A Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) allows you to take your vehicle off the road immediately or from the first day of the next month. You will get a refund for any full months of tax you had paid for in advance. If you want to drive the vehicle again, you cannot take it on the road until you tax it again. You can apply for a SORN online or by post. You must do it by post if the vehicle isn’t registered in your name.

Claim Car Tax Back for Written-Off Car

If your vehicle is involved in an accident and gets written off by your insurance company, then you need to inform the DVLA and cancel the tax on it. You are essentially selling your car to the insurance company, so you will not be the keeper of the vehicle anymore. Your insurance company will also take the vehicle’s logbook from you. You can notify the DVLA online or by sending section 9 of the logbook by post if you have it. The DVLA will send you a confirmation letter and cancel the tax for the vehicle. They will issue a refund if you are eligible to receive one.

Claim Car Tax Back After Scrapping Car

When your vehicle is no longer useful to you, then you might decide to scrap it. This must be done at an authorized treatment facility such as an official scrapyard. You can apply to keep the registration number first if you want to use it for another vehicle. Then sell it to a scrapyard, which will pay you the vehicle’s scrap value. They will provide a certificate of destruction if they do scrap it, but they may decide to repair it instead. You will need to give them the logbook, but keep the yellow V5C/3 slip out of it. Then notify the DVLA either online or by post that you have scrapped the vehicle. They will cancel your road tax, calculate a refund, and issue a confirmation letter. This should happen within four weeks.

Claim Car Tax Back for Stolen Car

If your car gets stolen, then you need to contact the police and your car insurance company. You will need to give them the registration number and the make and model of your car. The police will give you a crime reference number which you can give to your insurance company to support your claim. They will inform the DVLA about the car theft for you and notify them if it is found. If you get an insurance payment for the stolen vehicle, then you will be effectively selling it to the insurer. You must tell the DVLA about this by following the same steps as above. They will cancel the tax once you no longer own the car and refund you.

Claim Car Tax Back for Exporting Car Out of the UK

If you register a vehicle in the UK but then take it out of the UK for 12 months or more, the DVLA considers this to be a permanent export. It will require you to fill out the VC5/4 permanent export section of your logbook and send it to the DVLA (Swansea, SA99 1BD). You need to take the rest of the logbook with you so that you can register the vehicle in the new country you will be keeping it in. If you are doing this because you are moving home, then you must also update your driving licence with the new address. The DVLA will refund your car tax in 4-6 weeks.

Claim Car Tax Back After Applying for Exemption

Changes to your vehicle can affect the amount of tax that you should be paying for it. You should contact the DVLA to discuss changes to your car’s tax class. If the vehicle is now in use by a disabled person or by an organization that provides transport for disabled people, then you may be exempt from paying any vehicle tax. You can apply for vehicle tax exemption at a Post Office or by post to the DVLA. They will stop your car tax and give you a refund within six weeks if they owe one to you.

How to Get a Car Tax Refund

You do not have to apply for a refund or make a separate claim for a car tax refund. When you notify the DVLA of any of the things above, they will automatically cancel your car tax for you. This includes cancelling automatic payments if you were paying by Direct Debit. The DVLA will calculate any refund from the date that they receive your notification. They will then send a cheque refunding any full months to the address on your vehicle’s logbook. You will not get a refund for any card fees or surcharges on payments. If you have not received the cheque within 6 weeks, or the information on the cheque is incorrect when you do get it, then you should contact the DVLA. You can e-mail the DVLA or call 0843 178 3378 and press 2 to discuss a vehicle. Then press 1 to discuss road tax and refunds and choose the relevant numbered option from the list.