How Benefits Are Paid

Call connection, calls cost 7p per minute plus your standard network charge.

Please ensure you have the bill payers permission before calling.

This website provides hard to find phone numbers as a call connection service, and is not associated with the company.

Benefits are generally paid into your bank account, building society or credit union account in a straightforward way. If your payment is due to fall on a Bank Holiday, you will be paid on the last working day before the bank holiday.

How often you are paid:

How often you are paid depends on the type of benefit that you have.

Attendance Allowance- Usually every 4 weeks
Basic State Pension- Usually every 4 weeks
Carer’s Allowance- Weekly in advance, or every 4 or 13 weeks
Child Benefit- Usually every 4 weeks – or weekly if you’re a single parent or you or your partner get certain benefits. Bank holiday payment dates may be different.
Disability Living Allowance- Usually every 4 weeks
Employment and Support Allowance- Usually every 2 weeks Money 7
Jobseeker’s Allowance- Usually every 2 weeks
Pension Credit- Usually every 4 weeks
Personal Independence Payment – Usually every 4 weeks
Tax credits, eg Working Tax Credits-  Every 4 weeks or weekly. Check your payment date if you’re paid every 4 weeks. Bank holiday payment dates may be different.
Universal Credit- Every month

When you claim, you will be asked for your bank, building society or credit union account information. You will only get paid in a different way if you have problems with opening or managing an account.

Guardian’s Allowance, Child Benefit and Tax Credits

Money for these benefits can’t be paid into:

  • Accounts for a child trust fund
  • Children’s accounts
  • Bank/building society accounts which use a passbook
  • National savings and investments accounts
  • Some types of mortgage accounts
  • A Nationwide account in someone else’s name.

ISAs also have limits on the amount of money that you can pay into them, so you shouldn’t use these for child benefit.

Post Office Card Accounts

This type of account is specifically designed for those who cannot manage a building society, bank or credit union account. You can also only use them to get payment of your benefits, tax credits or state pension. You can’t use it for any wages or to set up Direct Debit payments.

To open an account, you’ll need to contact the office that pays your benefit, proof of identity such as a passport and proof of where you are living.

If you don’t have a bank account, or a Post Office card, contact the office which pays your benefits to find out how to get them paid to you.