HMRC Tax Code Contact Number

0843 178 7329

Tax Codes are used by employers in order to work out how much income tax should be taken from your salary. For help with Tax Codes, call the Tax Codes Helpline on 0843 178 7329 and a member of the team will be able to help you further.

HMRC Tax Code Contact Numbers

Department Contact Number Opening Hours
Tax Code Helpline 0843 178 7329 Monday- Friday, 9am-6pm
Emergency Tax Codes Helpline 0843 178 7330 Monday- Friday, 9am-6pm
Updated Tax Code Services 0843 178 7331 Monday- Friday, 9am-6pm
Complaints 0843 178 7332 Monday- Friday, 9am-6pm
HMRC Information Helpline 0843 178 7334  Monday- Friday, 9am-6pm

Tax Code Helpline

If you need to find out your tax code, you can do so online, or by calling 0843 178 7329. This is the Tax Code Helpline, where someone will be able to help you further. Tax Codes usually start with a number and end in a letter, and for most people who are in a full-time job, or who are claiming a pension, the tax code is 1150L. Tax Codes are usually figured out by the HMRC by calculating your personal allowance.

Emergency Tax Codes Helpline

Emergency tax codes in the UK usually end with W1 or M1. If your tax code starts with K, you are paying tax that is owed from previous months. To find out more about emergency tax, call 0843 178 7330 and someone from the Emergency Tax Codes team will be able to assist you further.

Updated Tax Code Services

If you change your job, you may be placed on emergency tax. HMRC will automatically update your tax code when you have given your employer the full details of your previous job, or any previous pension schemes that you may be a part of. Tax Codes will also automatically be updated if you receive a pay rise or if you claim marriage allowance.

If your Tax Code has been updated, you will receive a letter from the HMRC in order to tell you that your Tax Code has changed. If you would like to query this, or you would like to discuss your tax code with a member of the team, you can call the Updated Tax Code Services Helpline on 0843 178 7331. This number can also be used if you have had a change in circumstances.


In order to make a complaint about your Tax Code, your Tax Bracket or more, call 0843 178 7332 and you will be connected to a member of the HMRC Complaints team, who can help you further. You can also use this number to complain about the way you have been treated by the HMRC Stamp Duty staff.

HMRC Information Helpline

For any information, or for queries relating to Stamp Duty, call the HMRC Information Helpline on 0843 178 7334. Someone from the team will be able to assist you with any queries you may have. This line can also be used for other services and aspects of the HMRC.