Unique Taxpayer Reference Number

How to get your UTR number if you have lost it

How to Get a UTR Number

When you register as self-employed with HMRC, they will assign a Unique Taxpayer Reference number to you. This 10-digit UTR number is unique to you or your company. You will need this number to manage your taxes, including self-assessment tax returns. This guide will assist you in finding your UTR number. You can call HMRC on 0844 453 0158 if you need any more help.

What If I’ve Lost My UTR Number?

Once you register with HMRC, they will normally include your UTR number in all correspondence. You should be able to find it on official documents and letters from HMRC. Look for the 10-digit number on your “welcome to self-assessment” (SA250) letter or notices to file tax returns. It will be on previous self-assessment tax returns as well as your statement of account and payment reminders. You should keep all of these documents and store them safely for your records. The number might say “tax reference” next to it on the documents. You will also be able to find your UTR number by logging into your online account with HMRC. If you can’t find your UTR number, then you should call the Self Assessment helpline on 0843 178 4198. HMRC can find it for you.

Why Do I Need a UTR Number?

HMRC uses UTR numbers to identify everything to do with your taxes. You need one if you earn any income outside of the PAYE scheme. To get a UTR number, you must register with HMRC as an individual, limited company, or other organization. Usually, if you do this, then you must report your own taxable income to HMRC. You can check online to see if you need to fill out a tax return yourself. If you do need to file a self-assessment tax return, you will be able to do this online. To use your online account, you will need to activate it using a code which HMRC will send to you by post. Receiving your UTR number and this code can take up to 20 days. This is why is it important to keep track of your taxes. You could end up paying penalty fines as well as overdue income tax.

How to Register for Self-Assessment

If you are new to self-assessment, you can register online. This will enrol you in the online service and generate your UTR number, which HMRC will send to you by post. They will also send a letter containing the activation code you will need to log in for the first time. HMRC usually sends these letters within 10 working days (or 21 working days if you are abroad). You can also register over the phone by calling the Self-Employed helpline on 0843 178 4180. It will take the same amount of time to receive your letters. To avoid fines, you must register by 5th October in your company’s second tax year. You have to register for Self Assessment and Class 2 National Insurance if you earned more than £1,000 from self-employment in the last tax year (between 6th and 5th April).

What Do I Need to Register?

Whether you apply for your UTR number online or by phone, you will need to provide evidence. HMRC will ask you for a series of details. You should make sure that you have all of these ready:

  • your name
  • your address
  • National Insurance number
  • date of birth
  • contact phone number and e-mail address
  • self-employment start date
  • the nature of your business
  • business address
  • business contact phone number
  • UTR number if you were previously Self-Assessed
  • business UTR number if you’re joining a partnership

You will also need to provide all of this information if you register by post. To register in this way, you must fill out an online form then download and print it. The form will include the address you need to send it to. This additional postage time means it will take even longer to receive your UTR number. When you have to file your self-assessment tax returns, you can also send them by post.