Corporation Tax: Helpline

0844 248 2558

Corporation Tax is a corporate tax enforced by the UK Government on any company operating in the UK, and the permanent establishments of non-UK-based companies which trade in the European Union have to be paid by all limited companies. If you have any questions regarding the process, you can get in touch with the relations teams and management of the Corporation Tax offices by calling the Corporation Tax Helpline on 0844 248 2558Calling this number will take you to an automated service from which you can choose a department to speak to. If you are unsure which department you need to talk to, you can use their generic helpline, which can be found in the table below. 

Corporation Tax Contact Numbers

Department Contact Number Opening Hours
Corporation Tax Helpline 0844 248 2558 Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat 9am-1pm
Complaints 0843 596 4074 Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat 9am-1pm
Rates 0843 596 4075 Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat 9am-1pm
Self Assessment 0843 596 4076 Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat 9am-1pm

Corporation Tax Helpline

The Corporation Tax Helpline (0844 248 2558) can be used by anyone looking for help and guidance on how to system works.  The staff on the other end of the line are trained professionals and will be able to resolve your issue by providing you with the information you need, arranging to send out any forms or papers you may require, answering your questions or putting you through to the manager of the relevant department, if you need more direct help or are having a problem that you can’t fix yourself.

The corporation tax phone line is partially automated to improve the speed and efficiency with which callers can be directed to the relevant department, so you will need to navigate an automated menu on your way to speak with a human caller.


If you would like to make a complaint to the Corporation Tax Scheme regarding a service, how you’ve been treated or about another aspect of the service, you can call their complaints on 0843 596 4074 and talk to a member of the complaints team who can help you further.


For Corporation Tax, the tax year is called the financial year or fiscal year and it runs from the 1st April to the 31st March. Please note this is different from the tax year for individual taxpayers. The Chancellor sets out the Corporation Tax rates in the Budget each year. Normally, any changes are announced one financial year before they will take place.  To find out the current rate of Corporation Tax here in the UK, call them directly on 0843 596 4075.

Self Assessment

This term means you are responsible for working out how much Corporation Tax your company owes by filing your tax return to HMRC. While this may seem like a daunting task, it isn’t anywhere near as bad as it seems. The first thing you’ll need to do if you’re unfamiliar with this system is to find out what it is you need to do. You can get this information by emailing the HMRC on their official email address (try their official website for the information) or, if you want a guaranteed fast response, you can call the Self Assessment Corporation Tax contact phone number on 0843 596 4076.

More about Corporation Tax

Corporation Tax is a tax on the profits of limited companies and some organisations including clubs and societies. Taxable profits are defined by HMRC as including trading profits, investment profits and capital gains. If your company is based in the UK, you will have to pay Corporation Tax on all profits, wherever in the world they come from. If your company is based outside of the UK but operates in the UK from an office or branch, you will only have to pay tax on any profits arising from activities in the UK.

Prior to 1st April, 1965, Corporation Tax in its current form didn’t exist, and instead the same function was performed by the Income Tax system, making companies and individuals pay the same type of income tax, with an additional “Profits Tax” being applied to companies to account for the fact that they profit-generating entities. In 1965, on the first of April, not at all as an April Fool’s prank, the tax system was completely overhauled by the Finance Act of 1965, doing away with the old Income Tax based system and implementing Corporation Tax for the first time. This single tax allowed easier and more efficient taxation of companies and associations and used the basic rules and structures already in place in the Income Tax system to quickly establish itself. Beginning in 1997, the UK also began a programme of modernisation for its tax systems – the UK Tax Law Rewrite Project – which has been steadily working through the entire body of UK tax legislation, bringing it up to speed with current policy and attitudes. The scheme began with income tax and reached corporation tax after several years of exhaustive work. The legislation governing corporation tax has now been brought fully up to speed and stands as an example of modern British tax legislation.

Other ways to contact Corporation Tax

You can also write a letter to the Corporation Tax Head Office, found at the address below:

Corporation Tax Services
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom