Tax Office Archive

How to Cancel Road Tax

You may need to cancel your road tax for a number of reasons. For example, if your car has been written off, scrapped, or exported outside of the UK. To start the process of cancelling your road tax, you will need to contact the DVLA. Doing this

Should You Be Paying Gig Economy Tax or Sharing Economy Tax?

Pay All Your Taxes The Chancellor of the Exchequer, Philip Hammond, has announced a consultation in the March Spring Statement. This consultation, which runs until June, is looking into ways to automatically collect tax on income earned from online trading platforms. According to a survey, only 27%

How to get your UTR number if you have lost it

When you register as self-employed with HMRC, they will assign a Unique Taxpayer Reference number to you. This 10-digit UTR number is unique to you or your company. You will need this number to manage your taxes, including self-assessment tax returns. This guide will assist you in finding your UTR number. You

What you Need to Know About the New Tax Year

In the UK, the tax year runs from April 6th until April 5th the following year. If you haven’t done so already, you will need to fill in a tax return. If you haven’t created a return yet, you will be notified by the HMRC that you

How Will the Sugar Tax Affect the Public?

The start of the new tax year last week brings the Soft Drinks Industry Levy into effect. People more commonly know this levy as the buzzworthy Sugar Tax. There have been many debates about this tax, which aims to reduce the British public’s sugar consumption. At the

What’s My Tax Code?

Are you having trouble understanding your tax code? Read this guide to find out what your tax code means and what you should do if it is wrong. If you need further assistance after reading, then call HMRC (HM Revenue and Customs) on 0843 178 7329. HMRC can help

Stamp Duty Rates

If you live in England or Northern Ireland, you will need to pay Stamp Duty on residential, commercial and buy to let properties that cost more than £125,000. This tax also applies to freehold properties as well as leasehold, and still stands whether you are buying a

Car Tax Costs to Increase for Diesel Drivers

At the start of the current tax year in April 2017, new car tax rules came into effect. This set of tax bands for Vehicle Excise Duty only applies to new car buyers. If you bought your car before April 2017, you don’t need to worry about

How to Meet the Deadline for Self-Assessment Tax Returns

6th April 2016 – 5th April 2017 Tax Returns Due The deadline for tax returns for the 2016-2017 tax year is looming. Millions of Brits will need to submit their forms and pay any tax they owe by midnight on 31st January. Failure to meet this deadline can result in