Tax Return Contact Number

0844 248 2559

Most employees are not required to file a tax return because they are part of the PAYE system and so it is done for them. However, if you are self-employed, you will need to register your tax return yearly with HMRC. This is done by registering a self-assessment tax return. If you would like more information on how to do this then the best thing to do is call the Tax Return head office on 0844 248 2559 or if you have a specific query, any of the numbers displayed below.

Send a Return

Once you have registered yourself as self-employed with HMRC, you can go ahead and file a tax return. You can use an online service, but for anyone that would feel better talking to an expert, you can call 0843 596 4143. Upon calling the returns number, you will be put straight through to a call handler who can tell you all about the tax return process. They will ask if you’re self-employed or a sole trader or if you’re registering a partner or partnership. You will also be asked your preference when it comes to software or paper forms and which way you would like to send your returns – there are benefits to each method so allow the call handler to explain it to you.

Return Deadlines

It is essential that HMRC receives your tax returns plus any outstanding money you owe by the deadline – if not you will be liable for penalty charges. The deadline differs depending on whether you issue paper or online returns and by calling 0843 596 4144 you can find out when your deadline is so you are not at risk of late charges. You can also call this number if you have been asked to pay a late penalty but would like to appeal against it. Appeals will work if you are deemed to have a good enough reason, you can discuss this further with the call handler.


There are different penalties and fines depending on how late your tax return is. If you find that you have been late to make your tax return and you would like some help and advice, then you can call 0843 596 4145 where an advisor will help you out with the next steps to take and how to pay your late fee. If you are up to three months late with your tax return you will be charged £100 – the amount will go up after this.


When you call 0843 596 4146 you will be put straight through to the tax return complaints department where you will be asked to give specific details of your complaint. Hopefully, your complaint will be resolved there and then over the phone between you and the call handler, but if it is a complex issue it might have to be escalated to a specific department. If this is the case, the call handler will explain when you can expect to receive a callback and the steps that they are taking to resolve your complaint.

Getting Self-Assessment Help

There are different options when it comes to getting help with your self-assessment and you don’t have to fill it out alone if you are confused. When you call 0843 596 4147 you will be given the options of help that you can use such as appointing an accountant to fill out your form for you or watch a video or join a webinar for advice on how to fill it out properly. General Enquiries can be discussed on this number and it would be worth having your forms to hand whilst you are on the phone so that you can be talked through it step by step.

Tax Return Telephone Numbers

Department Contact Number
Customer Services 0844 248 2559
Send a Return 0843 596 4143
Return Deadlines 0843 596 4144
Penalties 0843 596 4145
Complaints 0843 596 4146

Budgeting Loan Phone Number

0844 248 2557

Are you looking for the budgeting loan contact number? If you are struggling to pay for essential items such as your rent or furniture, you could get assistance from the Government to help overcome your difficulties. This is known as a Budgeting Loan.

budgeting loan phone number

What is a Budgeting Loan and how can it be used?

You could get a Budgeting Loan to help pay for things that are essential to you and your family’s livelihood, such as your rent, clothes, furniture and debts from hire purchases. The smallest amount that you can borrow as a loan is £100, the maximum amount is £1500. Unlike payday loans, Budgeting Loans are interest-free, so you only have to pay back the exact amount that you borrow. Generally, the loan has to be paid back within 104 weeks of you receiving it. If you have been a recipient of income-related benefits for 26 weeks, you can apply for the loan. This will not affect your other benefits.

Factors that will affect the amount you receive

How much you receive as your budgeting loan depends on your individual circumstances. Factors that can affect this can include:

• Your marital status.
• Whether you have children and the amount that you have.
• Your ability to pay the loan back.
• The amount of savings you have.
• Whether you already owe money to the Social Fund.

Loans are usually paid into your bank account.

To find out about more factors that may affect your claim, or for an individual case analysis, call the Budgeting Loan telephone number.


In order to qualify for a Budgeting Loan, you or your partner must have been receiving one or more of the following benefits for at least 26 weeks: Income Support, Pension Credit, income-based Job Seekers Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

If you receive Universal Credit, time spent claiming one of the above benefits immediately before moving to Universal Credit will count towards the 26 weeks that is necessary to receive the loan.

If you have savings of over £1000, or £2000 if you or your partner is over state pension age, you will not be eligible for a full Budgeting Loan.

If you currently owe £1,500 or more to the Social Fund already, you will not be able to claim for a Budgeting Loan.

What can a Budgeting Loan pay for?

A Budgeting Loan can help you to pay for:

  • Rent
  • Clothing or footwear.
  • Furniture or household equipment.
  • Removal expenses when moving home.
  • Things to help you look for or start work.
  • Travelling expenses.
  • Improving/maintaining/securing your home.
  • Funeral or maternity expenses.
  • Repaying hire purchase debts or debts you have taken out to pay for any of the above.

How do I claim a Budgeting Loan?

To apply for a Budgeting Loan, you need to print off and fill in claim form SF500 and send or take it to your local Job Centre Plus. You can also get the form from here if you do not have access to the website or a printer. If you have any questions about your claim, you should speak to an advisor in your local centre, or call the number on this page.

What happens if I am unhappy with the decision made?

If you are unhappy with a decision that was made about your Budgeting Loan, you can ask for it to be reviewed. To do this, you must write to the local Job Centre Plus within 28 days of you receiving the decision, explaining why you believe that it was wrong. If you still think that it is wrong after the review, you can ask for a further review conducted by the office of the Independent Case Examiner, which should take no longer than 21 working days.