Community Archive

NHS To Unveil New 111 Service

Since new cuts for the NHS emergency services were announced at the beginning of the year, there has been a strain on the ability to treat patients fast enough. With some people waiting hours for an available bed, and many Accident & Emergency rooms closing this year,

Could this be the end of the DWP?

The DWP have come under fire in recent months, mainly because of the austerity that has been introduced by the Tory government. Welfare cuts have swept the nation, and have arguably targeted the most vulnerable in our society causing homelessness and poverty, and unsurprisingly, there are calls

‘Carry on Registering to Vote’, says Cameron

We reported earlier in the week about how many 18-24 year old’s may fail to register to vote in the EU referendum due to the process requiring a National Insurance number, which many considered too difficult to obtain. Well it seems many young people managed to muster

Asylum Seeker Escapes Jail, Despite Benefit Fraud

The case of benefit fraudster Linda Okungbowa is a complicated one, but thankfully one with a happy ending. Lisa arrived in the UK in 2004 after she was brought over by traffickers, hoping to start work in the UK as a nurse. The traffickers demandedpayment for helping

MPs Warn Job Centre Staff Need to be Trained for Universal Credit

MP’s have been warned that in order to make Universal Credit work, job centres must ensure the correct training of their staff. For those that don’t know, Universal Credit is designed to replace regular benefit and will eventually be given to all of those entitled to benefits. The new

Man Pleads Guilty to Benefit Fraud…..and Receives Brand New Car

Just weeks after pleading guilty to £40, 000 worth of benefit fraud, conman Clive Miller has received a £30, 000 government funded mobility car, despite being found guilty of fraud. Clive Miller, 47, is an ex-soldier that, despite having £280, 000 in bank accounts and properties across

HMRC Proposes More Tax Fraud Investigations

HMRC has been criticised these past few weeks by a group of MP’s. The MP’s, who are members of the Public Accounts Commitee (PAC), have said the agency needs to increase tax fraud investigations on the wealthy. This comes after the news that HMRC only investigate around

Latest News in the Community

The latest headlines this week concerning communities in the UK. EU Countries Oppose Plan for Tighter Criminal Checks at UK Border A new UK scheme to increase the amount of criminal information circulated across borders is facing significant opposition from other EU countries, The Telegraph has reported.

News Roundup: Community

Bringing you the latest headlines from the community and beyond… PM Recommends Criminal Checks for Cab Drivers following Taxi Driver Rapist Case Prime minister David Cameron has recommended that cab firms ought to carry out criminal records bureau checks (CRB checks) before hiring potential taxi drivers, to ensure