Carer’s Allowance Contact Numbers

0800 731 0297

Call the Carers Allowance contact number if you need assistance with claiming for Carer’s Allowance or your payments have been stopped for any reason.

Carer’s Allowance Department Telephone Numbers

Department Opening Hours
Customer Service Monday-Friday: 8.30am-5.30pm
Eligibility Monday-Friday: 8.30am-5.30pm
Claiming Alongside Other Benefits Monday-Friday: 8.30am-5.30pm
Payments Monday-Friday: 8.30am-5.30pm
Claims Monday-Friday: 8.30am-5.30pm
Report a Change in Circumstances Monday-Friday: 8.30am-5.30pm

Carer’s Allowance Customer Service

If you currently care for someone for at least 35 hours a week, you might be entitled to claim Carer’s Allowance. You don’t have to be related to the person you care for, nor do you need to live with them. If you care for more than one person, you’ll only be able to get money for one person. If claiming Carer’s Allowance takes your personal tax allowance over, you’ll need to pay tax on it. If you have a question that relates to Carer’s Allowance, call the customer service teamWhen you call , you will hear a message welcoming you to the Carer’s Allowance Unit. The automated message will inform you that if you’re waiting for an update on the status of your claim, it may take several weeks. It also informs you that it can be quicker to apply for Carer’s Allowance or report a change online. After the message, you will hear the following menu options. If you are making a claim, press 1. If you need to inform the Carer’s Allowance Office about a death, call 2. Lastly, for any other queries relating to Carer’s Allowance press 3.

Eligibility for Carer’s Allowance

In order to be eligible for Carer’s Allowance, the person that you’re caring for must receive certain benefits, such as a Personal Independence Payment, Disability Living Allowance, or Attendance Allowance. You must be over the age of 16 and spend a minimum of 35 hours a week caring for someone. You can’t be in full-time education or earn more than £116 a week. If you are unsure whether you’re eligible for Carer’s Allowance, call the contact number.

Claiming Carer’s Allowance with Other Benefits

Claiming Carer’s Allowance can affect the other benefits that you and the person that you’re caring for can get. When you claim, the person that you’re caring for will stop getting the severe disability premium with their payments and reduced Council Tax. Your benefits might be reduced, but they’ll usually increase or stay the same when you claim Carer’s Allowance. If you’re worried about the effect of claiming Carer’s Allowance, call the Carer’s Allowance Unit.


As a recipient of Carer’s Allowance, you can choose when you’d like to be paid. You can choose a time frame of every 4 weeks, every 13 weeks or weekly in advance. The payment is made to your bank account. If a payment has been delayed or you didn’t receive as much as you were expecting, contact the Carer’s Allowance Office.


Before you apply for Carer’s Allowance, you will need to have certain information to hand. This includes your National Insurance number, your bank details, information about your employment, a P45 if you have recently left work, or details of a course if you’re studying. You will also need to provide information about the person that you’re caring for, such as their date of birth and National Insurance number. You can claim for Carer’s Allowance online. You can’t apply by phone, but if you need support with making your application, call the helpline. If you need additional help with providing for children, you may be entitled to child benefit.

Changes in Circumstance

If you are currently claiming Carer’s Allowance, you must report certain changes in your circumstances. This can include getting a job, or if you stop providing care. If you only stop providing care on a temporary basis, you might still be able to claim Carer’s Allowance. For assistance with this, call the number.

Other Ways to Contact the Carer’s Allowance Office:

You can apply online for Carer’s Allowance by filling in an online form.

You can also apply by post using the application at the bottom of this form.