How to Cancel Road Tax

cancelling my road tax

You may need to cancel your road tax for a number of reasons. For example, if your car has been written off, scrapped, or exported outside of the UK. To start the process of cancelling your road tax, you will need to contact the DVLA. Doing this will allow you to inform the DVLA of your circumstances, and will ensure that your road tax is cancelled. Below is a guide on how to cancel your road and vehicle tax. If you find that any of the following reasons do not relate to you, you may not be entitled to a cancellation and will have to pay the remaining months of your vehicle tax until you can update your tax range or code.

How to Cancel your Road Tax

In order to cancel your Road Tax, you will need to call the DVLA. This is so that a member of staff can help you further. You can only cancel your road tax if any of the following applies to you:

Your Vehicle has been Written Off, Scrapped, or Stolen

If your car has been in a car accident and has been written off or scrapped as a result of this, then you will need to tell the DVLA. When doing this, you will need to enter your insurance company’s name and postcode. You will also need to enter both your registration number and your 11 digit reference found in your log book.

When your car has been stolen, it can be a stressful time. However, you don’t need to worry. You must first call the police and your insurance company. When informing both the police and the insurance company, you will need to tell them your registration number, make, model and car colour, along with any noticeable differences on the car that can make it more recognisable. If your car is found, the police will tell the DVLA on your behalf. If this has happened to you, you will receive a crime reference number from the police – you will need to quote this number to the insurance company. From here, your insurance will be able to tell you how to make a claim.

If you end up receiving compensation, you will need to inform the DVLA if:

Your Vehicle has been Sold or Transferred

If you have stopped owning a vehicle, you must tell the DVLA. This can be if the car has been sold or transferred. The same can be said when you buy a new car – you must claim the vehicle to the DVLA.

Your Vehicle has a SORN

A SORN is a notification that your car is off the road, for example, if a vehicle is stored in a garage, on a path, or at another property. If the vehicle is not being driven, you must have a SORN in order to say so. Once you do this, you will be given a refund for the remaining tax you owe. You will only be able to drive the vehicle again when you tax it.

Your Vehicle had been registered as exempt from Vehicle Tax

Making changes to your vehicle can influence how much tax you pay, and which tax class your car falls under. Examples of what can change your tax rate include:

  • Fuel type & Engine Size
  • Car Weight
  • Vehicle Use

The only exception to vehicle road tax is if you are disabled or an organisation, who provide for disabled individuals. If you think you are in the wrong tax class, you can change it once your current tax is due to run out, or if you believe you are entirely exempt from road tax.

If you are unsure about if you can cancel your road tax, it’s important that you speak to a member of the DVLA for information on what to do about your current situation. If you are a disabled individual, or you are part of an organisation that provides a service to disabled individuals, then you are exempt from road tax, and you will be refunded any money that you have paid towards your current tax.

What Happens Once you have Informed the DVLA

If your tax needs to be cancelled, if you are due a refund, or if you informed the DVLA of a disability resulting in an exemption, the DVLA will do all of the hard work for you. If you pay your tax via direct debit, this will be automatically cancelled for you. In terms of refunds, you will receive a cheque in the mail. Deducted from this will be credit card fees, surcharges and any payments you have made 6 months before contacting the DVLA. If the name, address, or amount on your refund cheque is wrong, you can return the cheque, along with an explanation of the issues, to the following address:

Refund Section
SA99 1AL